COVID - Facility Protocols
Please see the attached Facility Protocols for the St. Thomas Arenas.
City of St Thomas, Indoor Recreation Ice Facility Rentals COVID-19 Facility Rental Protocols (Joe Thornton Community Centre)
The City of St. Thomas continues to work with Southwestern Public Health and the Province of Ontario to monitor the Covid-19 situation and will follow Public Health’s recommendations. The health, safety and well-being of our community (participants, instructors, staff and guests) will remain our top priority.
We remind all patrons of the importance of physical distancing and encourage everyone to practice ways to minimize close contact to help prevent virus transmission while going about your activity.
Face coverings required for everyone entering the facilities, must be worn at all times in public space when not on the ice surface.
All permit holders must sign and submit this document via email before entering the facility; permit holder acknowledges they have distributed this information to all participants / guardians who will be coming to the Joe Thornton Community Centre for ice rentals and keep records of all participants for each rental should the local Health Unit require information for tracking purposes.
To ensure safety, clearly indicate at your time of booking what your requirements for the ice surface are. For example, figure/power skating with no nets, two nets, goalie one net only.
1. Do not enter the facility if:
- You have travelled outside of Ontario within the last 14 days.
- You have symptoms of COVID-19 or are feeling unwell.
- Someone in your household has experienced COVID-19 symptoms within the past 14 days.
- If anyone in your household has been exposed to someone who has or is recovering from COVID19.
2. Maximum numbers on each ice surface:
- A maximum of 25 people total allowed per rental group (includes players, goalie, coaches and 1 ice monitor)
- No spectators are permitted inside the facility at this time. - Maximum 2 dressing rooms per rental at current time, participants are to come dressed except for their skates and are only permitted to use benches to put on skates. NO SHOWER or washroom use in dressing rooms.
- Max of 9 participants permitted in dressing rooms (for social distancing purposes).
- Entry and exit at designated doors to ice surfaces and facilities (follow signage).
- Lobby washrooms available for limited use for A pad rentals. B pad rentals may use washrooms in cut-way located by the visitor bench.
- Users must not exceed applicable and current gathering restrictions. The City may require any user(s) to leave the facilities and its premises forthwith in the event, that there is any contravention.
3. Parking lot: - Everyone must follow physical distancing rules in the parking lot the same as in the arena.
- No loitering at arena is permitted during booked times by parents/guardians who are waiting for their child.
- Please bring your own hand sanitizer or use the hand sanitizer provided near the facility entrances or “bench” areas. Please ensure you take any garbage and belongings home with you.
4. Equipment requirements:
- Players must arrive fully dressed, carrying skates, stick, helmet and water bottle only. Facility users are strongly encouraged to not bring bags into the facility.
- Goalies must arrive with their base layer, socks, and hockey pants on. They will be permitted to bring a bag with the rest of their gear to put on inside the facility.
- Ensure your water bottle is clearly marked with your name.
5. Arrival and departure
- Follow all signage posted inside and outside of the facility. - You may arrive 15 minutes prior to your ice time and you must depart within 10 minutes after the completion of your ice rental time. Facility users will only be granted access to the facility by a designated facility staff member 15 minutes before the rental time commences. Please avoid waiting by the facility entrance doors as there may be other groups.
- Please bring your own hand sanitizer or use the hand sanitizer provided near the facility entrances or “bench” areas.
- Except for player water bottles, any outside food or beverages is not permitted inside the facility.
- Participants using A pad will enter the facility from the front main sliding doors. Participants using B pad will also enter the facility from the front main sliding doors. Ice times will be staggered start times, ½ hour between A and B pad for 1-hour durations each (50-minute time slots only). The main arena lobby will be divided in half using barriers to ensure groups maintain separation.
6. Ice rental preparation
- Once participants have entered arena lobby, they must proceed directly to rental area and into assigned dressing rooms for A or B pad rink users. Once you enter your dressing room it is PROHIBITED to leave your dressing room until ice surface is ready for use.
- Patrons must abide by the 2-metre physical distancing rule while entering and exiting the facility.
- We will not permit people from coming and going in and out of the building during your rental.
- Once the outgoing rental group has exited the facility, facility staff will continue to sanitize the area’s used including benches, floors and high touch points.
7. While you are here:
- Patrons will continue to abide by the 2-metre physical distancing rule.
- Limit use of the washrooms to emergencies only. Washrooms in designated areas are only available to participants of that designated rental group.
- Face coverings are required for anyone who comes into the facility.
- Read and adhere to all the signs posted and follow the directions.
- We will not process facility bookings in-person. We will coordinate bookings via phone/email only ahead of time.
8. While you are on the ice:
- You must practice physical distancing while entering and exiting the ice surface and during your time on the ice.
- There will be no game play permitted at this time, must be monitored by each organisation (ice monitor) respectively. If staff witness game play, you will be asked to leave the surface and exit the facility with no refund or credit and all future bookings may be subject to cancellation. All participants must use the ice surface for Skills Development only.
- NO SPITTING ALLOWED IN THE FACILITY, ON THE ICE, PLAYERS BOXES OR OUTSIDE AREAS.
9. What is provided:
- Two nets will be provided as required or prearranged. Nets will be sanitized by facility staff between each rental.
- We will not have shooter-tutors, extra pucks or pylons available to borrow should you forget any of your equipment. Ensure you have everything that is required. You are responsible to sanitize all your own equipment. No equipment is to be left behind.
- All hockey participants on the ice are required to have at least skates, gloves, and wear a CSA approved helmet. Skate Canada figure skating participants are not required to wear a helmet.
10. User code of conduct
- Please ensure you are aware of the procedures and the importance of physical distancing upon entering the facility. Please relay the importance of this information to all your participants.
- Everyone entering the facility should ensure they are not touching anything that is not necessary. Proceed to your designated station upon arrival and wait until you are instructed to proceed to your next station.
- Walking around the facility outside of designated areas is not permitted. No access to storage rooms or office spaces unless prearranged at time of booking, no exceptions.
- Users must not exceed any applicable gathering restriction.
- Horseplay among participants is not permitted, any behaviour contrary to our guidelines, may result in immediately leaving the facility without a refund or credit and all future bookings cancelled.
- It is the expectation that everyone entering the facility respect and adhere to all protocols and directives. I have read, understand and agree to adhere to the following conditions as identified above.